NATION BUILDER – Professor Jonathan Jansen
Feedback from the webinar hosted 31.05.2018 by Operations Manager Craig Bouchier
The only way I know of people to lift themselves out of poverty is education.
- 19% participation in higher education – 16% blacks
- Money should be spent on preschool
- The gap between Goga and good preschool – the gap is huge and is never closed
- To rebuild education strengthen the base – not where the noise is – fix the foundations
- I’ve teached at the worst school in the country and the best in USA and the kids are the same except for the opportunity – there is nothing wrong with the kids
What are the changes taking place in education that is not obvious?
- Students coming into university are now coming from homes where the state provided grants and the expectation is when you get to university the state will provide.
- There is a notion you must give me and I must not pay back.
- Growing trend towards incivility
- Universities you can’t share your view if it’s different politically
- To fix education you got to fix from preschool
Business should be saying: How could we add value not just buy books
- In Silicone valley they expect you to fail – we are risk averse
- They are encouraged and inspired by teachers – locally we are put down by teachers
How important is a mentor for disadvantaged kids?
- Major reason young people struggle they don’t have mentors,
- They need access to opportunities – in a white community Dad can phone a friend who is CEO of large company and get his son an internship after university or job opportunity
- Must find ways of connecting kids – sometimes it takes a long time
- Vital to have a teacher that motivates, inspires young people